Decks are in huge demand. A deck enhances the look of a home and provides the home owner with ample space to enjoy the outdoors during the warmer seasons. In addition, a deck also increases the monetary value of the home. However, in order to achieve all this, it is important for the home owner to keep quality construction and design in mind for a perfect deck. This article will provide you with various tips on how to construct a perfect deck.
Before starting your deck project please ensure that you have got the appropriate building permits. This is important as it ensures that the construction is done keeping safety in mind.
1. Sealed Wood: Always use sealed wood on your deck, as unsealed wood can start to deteriorate within a year. In addition, the unsealed wood will make your deck look worn and old.
2. Open Riser and Railing: When you start constructing your deck, do not forget to close any open space, as it may result in an accident. For example, your foot can fall in-between open spaces among stairs when walking up the steps. Similarly, you should never build your deck and it’s staircase without a railing. The absence of a railing can make it difficult for you or other people to maintain balance while walking up stairs or walking on the sides of the deck. This also poses a huge safety concern as someone could fall.
3. Railing Height and Baluster Spacing: While constructing your deck, you must adhere to the deck construction codes set in your area, as these codes are set for your safety. Though you must ensure that you follow all the construction codes, the most important code that you can’t really afford to forget or miss are the specific measurements for railing height and baluster spacing. Not following standard practices for this can be a real safety concern. Low railing height may allow someone to fall over the railing. Similarly, if you do not maintain the standard baluster spacing, children can get stuck in-between them or worse walk through and fall off the deck.
4. Deck Footings: Deck footings are those, which create a solid foundation on which your entire deck lies. Without the proper footing size, your deck will begin to shake soon after construction and may even collapse. So, always ensure that you use optimum quality and standard sizes deck footings.
5. Other material: A deck is not only made up of wood, but you also need to have many kinds of fasteners and fixings such as joist hangers to fasten and fix the deck joints. Using screws instead of nails also ensures that your deck will be put together better and planks or other parts will not come loose easily.
In addition to these tips, it is advised to every home owner to hire a professional deck building company. A reputable deck company will not only provide you with an exceptional deck but will also suggest the best available deck designs and type of deck to build.